James A. Bartholomew, CTP
Jim has had significant experience dealing with troubled companies since 1987. He has substantial experience in mergers and acquisitions, manufacturing, leasing, real estate, mortgage banking, management consulting and litigation support. He has provided the following services both in and out of bankruptcy court:
- Served as court-appointed Receiver in federal and state courts. Jim has been a Receiver in a variety of circumstances including cases related to post-judgment collection, prejudgment attachment, real estate, marital dissolutions and to take custody of secured creditor’s collateral.
- Served as Interim Chief Executive Officer or Chief Operating Officer during crisis periods.
- Represented purchasers or sellers of financially troubled companies in developing strategy, negotiating with all parties and overseeing due diligence.
- Advised management and Boards of Directors in the reorganization and restructuring of their companies or financial obligations.
- Resolved disputes through direct settlement negotiations, arbitration and mediation or through managed litigation.
- Negotiated with secured and unsecured creditors and all other interested parties.
Jim has experience in a wide range of industries including real estate, manufacturing, technology, wholesale, distribution, retail, pre-press printing, entertainment and hospitality. His client list includes both public and private companies. A representative sample of his engagements and experience include:
- Served as Chief Executive Officer of a $100 million auto parts distributor and retailer during a sale process.
- Served as Chief Operating Officer of a manufacturer of industrial laser machines.
- Negotiated the purchase of two automotive parts distributors and retailers out of their Chapter 11 bankruptcies.
- Appointed Chapter 11 Administrative Agent of a large entertainment /educational complex, which included operating the facility and ultimately selling the project for the bondholders.
- Served as Chief Executive Officer of the second largest environmental testing company in the United States; operated the company and sold groups of laboratories to various buyers.
Jim is also a founding director of Turnaround Management Association, a CTP and a member of the Minnesota Society of CPAs and the American Institute of CPAs.
Prior to becoming a turnaround consultant Jim was a Senior Manager at Deloitte & Touche. He graduated in 1978 from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science degree (major in accounting) with High Distinction. Jim is a member of the Board of Directors of Minnesota Wire & Cable Co., and former member of the Board of Directors for Midwest Auto Parts Distributors, United Shipping and Technology, the Faribault Woolen Mill.